The production of nail polish is quite an interesting and creative business idea. Especially it will suit connoisseurs of this product, women. It is not enough just to open a nail polish factory, you also need to choose the right palette that is interesting for fashionistas and manicure lovers, in other words, to create competitive products.
To open a business, register as a sole trader or LLC. Which option is more suitable for your company, the lawyer will tell you.
Types of Product
Nail polish is a cosmetic product for painting the nails of the hands and feet.
Despite the fact that varnish is mentioned in ancient history, only in the 20th century did this production become mass-produced.
The final product consists of a small glass vial, an application brush, and the dye itself.
Lacquers are divided into 3 types:
- Base – a tool designed to protect the nail plate from the negative effects of colored varnish; applied to the nail before applying the coloring matter. There are: healing, antifungal, strengthening.
- Decorative – colored varnish, which serves only as a decor. It is better to apply on the basis. Some are applied in several layers to get a darker and more saturated shade; good varnish is resistant to external influences (moisture, physical work).
- Protective – a substance that acts as a protective layer of decorative varnish, does not allow it to peel off ahead of time. Thanks to him, a manicure can be done infrequently. The protective coating gives the surface an extra shine.
For the selection and manufacture of products, manufacturing companies conduct a lot of research in order to provide consumers with a better product than competitors. Color and durability are the main attributes of quality products. No firm will disclose its secret formula.
When opening your production, immediately decide in which direction you will move:
- exclusive products – small batches, high sales costs;
- professional products – the main buyers should be looked for among beauty salons, specialized stores;
- budget products – the most popular, designed for retail in inexpensive stores, supermarkets and markets.
Your business can combine 2 directions of production at once.
Many firms produce counterfeit products under the guise of well-known brands, but, as a rule, they fail to settle in the vastness of this business for a long time.
Raw Material components
Raw materials for the production of nail polish consist of 4 essential components:
- polymers – the basis that creates a shiny film (lacquer coating); TSF (tosylamide-formaldehyde resin) – is responsible for durability, and nitrocellulose – for brightness and shine;
- solvents – components due to which the coloring matter hardens, is qualitatively applied to the surface of the nail; liquid includes butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, isopropyl alcohol, stearalkonium hectorite, dimethicone;
- plasticizers – used to impart elasticity and strength, usually dibutyl phthalate or camphor;
- different pigments that are responsible for different properties, for example, mica gives shimmer, titanium dioxide regulates shades, and bismuth oxychloride provides a pearlescent effect.
The technology for the production of nail polish consists of several stages:
- mixing nitrocellulose, plasticizer, pigment;
- grinding the resulting mixture into powder using a two-roll crusher;
- mixing the mixture to the type of sheets;
- mixing crushed sheets with solvents in a boiler;
- lowering the boiler into cold water for cooling;
- mixing of other components inside closed boilers (computer controlled process);
- adding moisturizing ingredients;
- adding fragrances;
The production process is considered quite complex. Each stage is strictly controlled by technologists, even the temperature of the water for cooling. In addition, special and high-quality equipment is needed.
First, the bottling process starts with containers with a capacity of about 208 liters. These containers with the finished substance enter the bottling lines with special pumps, where the bottling takes place in small glass bottles, which will go on sale.
A complete production line, including a bottling line, can be purchased for $650.
The manufacture of varnish refers to flammable industries, so choose a room with the possibility of excluding such incidents.
Equip the production hall with the possibility of isolation in case of a fire alarm. Thus, if a fire leads to an explosion, there will be minimal damage to the room.
The cost of finished products is very different, it all depends on the direction, brand, and type.
- available products – 70-140 dollars;
- high-quality products – about 350 dollars;
- professional products – from 700 dollars.
The cost of products of famous brands:
|Bow Nail Polish||eleven||350|
Given the rather low cost of raw materials, the business is very profitable. The main thing is to have the start-up capital for the purchase of equipment and raw materials.
Therefore, a business can be started with an initial capital of $13000.