Surrounded by a digital landscape, even the most traditional and old-fashioned companies have to keep up with the latest trends in marketing to ensure they remain saleable, competitive and visible in the market they have grown into, and to penetrate new markets and channels.
After all, no brand, service, or product can remain stagnant and expect to grow and diversify. With the variety of marketing techniques, businesses are giving all marketing channels a second look.
Below-the-line marketing (BTL) has been known to get the quickest conversions and the most direct responses as the audience are also very specific or highly targeted.
What is BTL Marketing?
Below-the-line advertising (also known as below-the-line promotion/below-the-line marketing /BTL marketing/BTL advertising) applies to very precise and direct advertising activities concentrated on targeted groups of potential consumers. This type of advertising is focused more on conversions than on long-term brand-building and often utilizes direct marketing strategies.
In other words, below the line marketing is best for getting conversions and direct responses.
Examples of BTL Promotion
- Outdoor Advertising: Usually done in public places, outdoor advertising is always on display and, therefore, often has a more significant (and more targeted) reach depending on the locations. Outdoor advertising can be done through the use of marketing collateral such as flags, banners, wraps, and billboards.
- Direct Mail Marketing: Direct mail marketing has been a popular approach for years, as it is one of the most personal strategies used by marketers. Direct mail campaigns (which can include email, text messages, or regular mail) involve the use of custom-made messages about a brand or different offers created in accordance with the particular needs of each customer. If planned and executed correctly, this below the line strategy can result in a substantial increase in conversions.
- Sponsorship: Many firms employ sponsorship opportunities as part of their brand-building strategy. These partnerships with different businesses or events or influencers can be highly beneficial in getting more attention, and recognition, and gaining more impressions for your company.
- In-Store Marketing: Any marketing events or activities that are done at a retail store are referred to as in-store marketing activities. These events or activities utilize various sales points to achieve the highest returns on investment. Hosting an in-person demonstration is also a well-known BTL method for the promotion of products.
- Targeted Leaflet Drop: If you are looking to generate some quick business, consider doing a targeted leaflet drop. This can be an excellent advertising medium if you supply specific services to residents of a particular area. Ensure that you have designed an eye-catching leaflet that maybe contains an offer — this often does the trick for attracting new customers! In this type of technique, you also need to consider the schedule or timing of your campaign aside from the target area. For better recognition, it would be good if the marketing staff is wearing an ID or uniform, or both.
- Catalogs: As people have already signed up to see what you are going to be offering, catalogs work very well as a BTL marketing method as the response rate is usually quite good. In 2018, catalogs can either be issued digitally or through the traditional post.
- Email Marketing: Without a doubt the most effective BTL marketing method there is, email blasts or campaigns if done correctly, can bring in an ROI averaging $43 for every dollar invested.
Advantages of BTL Strategies
Here are four advantageous ways BTL strategies can improve your brand’s performance.
- Extremely Targeted: As BTL marketing strategies are extremely targeted, the communication that takes place is done to match what the potential customer wants. By communicating this way, the resulting conversions are often a lot better since you already have good quality leads.
- Better ROI: In terms of conversion, BTL strategies provide better ROI and MROI. This is because the promotional efforts are focused on a specific target group. Therefore they have a better reach which, in turn, means they can be efficiently executed, tracked, and controlled.
- Ease of Control: As the returns from these activities can be easily tracked and monitored, your firm can then take the necessary steps to improve ROI. From a BTL campaign, your company will be able to measure the following elements:
- Conversion rates – from your websites/blog/direct mail campaigns/discount offers, etc.
- Website/blog/landing page visits
- Followers and subscribers – on your blog, email lists, and social media profiles, etc.
- Click-through rates (CTR) – from digital ads
- Open rates – emails/marketing automation campaigns
Tailor-Made: BTL advertising strategies are devised according to the needs of a specific target group and can be formed individually for distinctive customer groups. Formulated strategically and efficiently implemented, BTL marketing tools can definitely increase sales and lead conversions.
Does your firm utilize below the line marketing strategies? Have you noticed a shift in results? Let us know in the comments!